I have been lead author on over 77 Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) wetland delineation and monitoring projects and reports submitted for regulatory compliance. I have also assisted with over 135 additional IDOT projects and reports.
Contributed to INHS Technical Report 2015 (32) Conservation of the Illinois Flora: A Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment of 73 Plant Species. Prepared by J. Baty, D. Zaya, G. Spyreas, B. Molano-Flores, and T. Benson. INHS2015_32.pdf (illinois.edu)
Drinkard, M., Kershner, M., Romito, A., Nieset, J, and De Szalay, F. Responses of Plants and Invertebrate Assemblages to Water Level Fluctuation in Headwater Wetlands. Journal of the North American Benthological Society, 30(4):981-996. 2011.
- Nieset, J. Led Wetland Ecology hike and Asclepias incarnata planting at St. Joseph Wetland Educational Outreach Event in collaboration with the Champaign County Soil and Water Conservation District, July 10, 2021.
- Nieset, J., E. Miernicki, L. Carr and K. Carr. 2021. Wetland Wonders virtual program at Urbana Free Library, Urbana, IL. April 24, 2021.
- Nieset, J., “Wetland Plants Help Clean Water” as part of U.N. Water Day activities with the National Great Rivers Research and Education Center. Led 8 half-hour virtual sessions for Illinois 5th March 22-23, 2021.
- Nieset, J. 2020. Led Plant ID walk at Weaver Park, Urbana, IL. Supporting the Society of Wetland Scientists Student Chapter at UIUC September 26, 2020.
- Nieset, J. 2019. Native Plant Hike for supporting the Urbana Park District Bioblitz. Gave advice and coordinated organization of vegetation data for the Bioblitz. September 27-28, 2019.
- Nieset, J. 2019. Exploring Asteraceae – Half-Day Plant Identification Workshop and Hike. Open to the public, supporting the UIUC Student Association of SWS NCC. September 7, 2019.
- Wetland Wonders program at Urbana Free Library. Collaborated with staff from INHS and ISGS. April 7, 2019.
- Nieset, J., 2018. Cultural and ecological importance of native Midwestern plants, highlighting nine plants. UIUC Spurlock Summer Sundays program. Exhibit and program. August 26, 2018.
- Nieset, J. “Seed Saving I: Collecting native plant seeds at the UIUC Pollinatarium prairie”. Talk, hike, and seed collection for local Master Naturalists and Master Gardeners. August 2016, Urbana, IL.