Berg, Richard Carl
Illinois State Geologist
Adjunct Professor, Geography & Geographic Information Science
Address and Contact Information
111 Natural Resources Building
615 E. Peabody Dr.
, IL 61820
Honors and Awards
- Sigma-Zeta National Science-Math Honorary.
- 1991 Co-recipient of the John C. Frye Memorial Award in Environmental Geology by the Geological Society of America and the Association of American State Geologists for authoring ISGS Circular 546 on geologic and hydrologic factors for siting and characterizing hazardous or low-level radioactive waste disposal facilities. Awarded at GSA Annual Meeting, October 21, 1991, San Diego, CA.
- Appreciation plaque from Battelle Memorial Institute for participation in the Illinois low-level radioactive waste siting project, 1988-1991.
- Certificate of Appreciation from the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors and the National Environmental Health Association for valuable contributions made to the 1992 International Environmental Health Conference and Exhibition, Winnipeg, Manitoba, July, 1992.
- 1993 recipient of the Illinois Groundwater Association's Groundwater Science Award for outstanding achievement in groundwater science and development of the Illinois Groundwater Protection Program. Awarded at IGA meeting, April 8, 1993, Fermi Lab, Batavia, Illinois.
- GSA Fellow, elected March 20, 1995.
- Certificate of Recognition from the Illinois State Water Survey, ”Alien” Award for meritorious service on search committees by a sister survey staff member, February 26, 1999.
- Service Appreciation Award for 25 years of service from the Illinois State Geological Survey, presented September 17, 1999.
- ISGS Special Achievement by a Team award, along with 15 others, as part of the Villa Grove Mapping Team, presented Oct. 21, 1999.
- Service Appreciation Award for 30 years of service from the Illinois State Geological Survey, presented Nov. 19, 2004.
- Listee of the International Biographical Centre’s 2009 Top 100 Scientists for a significant contribution to engender influence on a local, national, and international basis. Notified on May 26, 2009.
- Certificate of Appreciation in recognition of outstanding contribution as a GSA Representative to the Ad-Hoc Committee to Review Committees, November 2008 - May 2009, May 15, 2009.
- Certificate of Appreciation in recognition of outstanding contributions to the GSA Congressional Science Fellowship Selection Committee of the GPPC, July 2008 - June 2009, July 3, 2009.
- Thirty-five Years Service from the Illinois State Geological Survey, presented November 7, 2009.
- Certificate of Appreciation in recognition of outstanding contributions to the GSA Committee on Geology and Public Policy, July 2006 - June 2010, July 7, 2010.
- ISGS Special Achievement by a Team award to those who contributed to the writing, editing, production, and review of the Geology of Illinois volume, presented Feb. 25, 2011.
- 2011 GSA Distinguished Service Award recognizing individuals for exceptional service to the Society. Awarded at GSA Annual Meeting, October, 9, 2011, Minneapolis, MN.
LDAP Details for Berg, Richard Carl