Principal Research Hydrogeologist, Illinois State Geological Survey
Director, Illinois Water Resources Center
Director, Illinois Water Resources Center
Address and Contact Information
204 Natural Resources Building
615 East Peabody Drive
M/C 650Champaign, IL 61820
- Groundwater and geothermal resources
- Groundwater and surface water interactions
- Fiber-optic distributed temperature sensing (FO-DTS)
- Groundwater and public health connections
- Ph.D., Geological Engineering, University of Wisconsin – Madison, 2002
- M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Connecticut, 1996
- B.S., Water Resources and Environmental Engineering, Tamkang University, Taiwan, 1993
Other campus affiliations
- Clinical Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Research Professor, Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences
- Professional Geoscientist
- Certified Geographic Information Systems Professional
Honors and Awards
Selected Service Activities
- Board of Directors, At-Large Representative, 2020-2023, National Institutes for Water Resources
- Management Board, member, since 2019, Hydrogeology Division, Geological Society of America
- Executive Editor, since 2017, Groundwater, National Ground Water Association
- Delegate, Since 2013, the Universities Council on Water Resources (UCOWR)
- Representative, since 2011, Consortium of Universities for the Advancement of Hydrologic Science, Inc. (CUAHSI) established by U.S. National Science Foundation
* denotes student or postdoc author
- McDaniel A.*, J. Tinjum, D. Hart, Y. F. Lin, A.S. Stumpf, and L. Thomas*. 2018. Distributed Thermal Response Test to Analyze Thermal Properties in Heterogeneous Lithology, Geothermics. 76: 116-124. doi: 10.1016/j.geothermics.2018.07.003.
- Wu, Q., Y. Zhao*, Y. F. Lin, H. Xu, and H. Zhang. 2018. Direct conservative domain in continuous Galerkin groundwater models, Groundwater. 56(3): 491-500. doi: 10.1111/gwat.12622.
- Kumar P., V.V. L. Phong*, T. A. N. Papanicolaou, R. L. Bruce, A. Anders, A. Stumpf, C. Wilson, A. Bettis, N. Blair, A. S. Ward, T. Filley, H. Lin, L. Keefer, D. A. Keefer*, Y. F. Lin, M. Muste, T. V. Royer, E. Foufoula-Georgiou, and P. Belmont. 2018. Critical Transition in Critical Zone of Intensively Managed Landscapes. Anthropocene. 22: 10-19. doi: 10.1016/j.ancene.2018.04.002.
- Xu T.*, A. J. Valocchi, M. Ye, F. Liang and Y.F., Lin. 2017. Bayesian Calibration of Groundwater Models with Input Data Uncertainty. Water Resources Research. doi: 10.1002/2016WR019512.
- Wu, Q., Y. Zhao*, Y. F. Lin, and H. Xu. 2016. Locally Conservative Flow Fields in Continuous Galerkin Groundwater Models Using Prismatic Meshes. Water Resources Research. 52: 9182-9189. doi: 10.1002/2016WR018967.
- Lin, Y.F., S. Zhong, and A.J. Stumpf. 2016. Procedure for three-dimensional printing of a digital hydrostratigraphic model. Illinois State Geological Survey, Circular 593, 9 p.
- Dong, D., G. Lin*, Y.F. Lin, M. Zhao, and L. Li. 2016. Evaluating Induced Fractures between a Large Artificial Lake and an Aquifer-Coal Seam System: A Case Study in Tangshan Coal Mine, China. Mine Water and the Environment. 35(2): 253-260. doi: 10.1007/s10230-014-0319-z.
- Mehnert, E., Adams, N., Zohreh, A.-K., Benson, S.M., Berger, P.M., Butler, S.K., D’Alessio, M., Freiburg, J.T., Hackley, K.C., Krothe, N.C., Krothe, J., Kelly, W.R., Lin, Y.F., Panno, S.V., Ray, C., Rice, R.J., Roy, W.R., Storsved, B.A., Strandli, C.W., and Yoksoulian, L.E., 2015, Protecting Drinking Water by Reducing Uncertainties Associated with Geologic Carbon Sequestration in Deep Saline Aquifers, EPA-STAR Project Report and Report Summary: EPA-G2008-STAR-H1 (A-24141), ISGS Contract Report.
- Lin, Y.-F. F. 2014. Hydrogeology: Objectives, Methods, Applications (Book Review), Groundwater 52(6): 815–816. doi: 10.1111/gwat.12282
- Wan, J.,* Y.E. Yang,* Y.F. Lin and J. Wang.* 2013. Groundwater Resource Planning to Preserve Streamflow - Where Environmental Amenity Meets Economic Welfare Loss. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management 139(4): 440–448
- Wan, J.,* Y.E. Yang,* and Y.F. Lin. 2013. The Effect of Groundwater Allocation on Economic Welfare Loss. Groundwater 51(4): 603–612.