Principal Research Hydrogeologist, Illinois State Geological Survey
Director, Illinois Water Resources Center
Clinical Professor, Dept. of Civil & Environmental Engineering
Research Professor, Dept. of Natural Resources & Environmental Sciences
Address and Contact Information
204 Natural Resources Building
615 East Peabody Drive
, IL 61820
- Groundwater and geothermal resources
- Groundwater and surface water interactions
- Fiber-optic distributed temperature sensing (FO-DTS)
- Ph.D., Geological Engineering, University of Wisconsin – Madison, 2002
- M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Connecticut, 1996
- B.S., Water Resources and Environmental Engineering, Tamkang University, Taiwan, 1993
- Professional Geoscientist
- Certified Geographic Information Systems Professional
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2018, Geological Society of America, Boulder, CO, USA.
- Distinguished Alumni Award, 2013, Department of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering, Tamkang University, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Faculty Fellow, 2006, National Center for Supercomputing Applications, Urbana, IL, USA.
Selected Service Activities
- Commissioner, Appointee of Illinois Governor, since 2020, Great Lakes Commission
- At-Large Representative, 2020-2023, Board of Directors, National Institutes for Water Resources
- Chair of Water Resources, 2020-2023, Board on Natural Resources, Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU)
- Chair, 2021-2022, Hydrogeology Division, Geological Society of America
- Executive Editor, since 2017, Groundwater, National Ground Water Association
- Delegate, Since 2013, the Universities Council on Water Resources (UCOWR)
- Representative, since 2011, Consortium of Universities for the Advancement of Hydrologic Science, Inc. (CUAHSI) established by U.S. National Science Foundation
* denotes student or postdoc author
- Zong, Y.*, A.J. Valocchi, and Y.F. Lin. 2021. Coupling a borehole thermal model and MT3DMS to simulate dynamic ground source heat pump efficiency. Groundwater. Online Preview. https://doi.org/10.1111/gwat.13159
- Liu, H.*, A.J. Stumpf, Y.F. Lin, and X. Liu. 2021. Distributed thermal response multi-source modeling to evaluate heterogeneous subsurface properties. Groundwater. Online Preview. https://doi.org/10.1111/gwat.13154
- Zhao, Z.*, Y. Xu*, Y-F. Lin, X. Wang, and P. Wang. 2021. Probabilistic Modeling and Reliability-based Design Optimization of a Ground Source Heat Pump System. Applied Thermal Engineering. 197. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2021.117341.
- Lin, Y.F., C-Y Tseng*, and S.L. Sargent. 2020. User’s Manual for the Portable Thermal Response Test Device. Illinois State Geological Survey, Circular 603, 11 p. http://isgs.illinois.edu/publications/c603
- Lin, Y.F., A. Stumpf, S. Frailey, R. Okwen, Y. Lu, F. Holcomb*, J. Tinjum, T. Stark, J. Damico, S. Elrick, J. Nelson, D. Garner, F. Yang, H. Salih, W. Fu, Z. Lin, J. Lin, C. Korose, L. Thomas, R. McKaskle, K. Fisher, A. Vance, J. Urlaub, J. Kirksey, and C. Hammock, 2020. Geothermal Heat Recovery Complex: Large-Scale, Deep Direct-Use System in a Low-Temperature Sedimentary Basin. Champaign, IL: Illinois State Geological Survey. DOE-DE-EE0008106 Final Report.
- McDaniel A.*, J. Tinjum, D. Hart, Y. F. Lin, A.S. Stumpf, and L. Thomas*. 2018. Distributed Thermal Response Test to Analyze Thermal Properties in Heterogeneous Lithology, Geothermics. 76: 116-124. doi: 10.1016/j.geothermics.2018.07.003.
- Wu, Q., Y. Zhao*, Y. F. Lin, H. Xu, and H. Zhang. 2018. Direct conservative domain in continuous Galerkin groundwater models, Groundwater. 56(3): 491-500. doi: 10.1111/gwat.12622.
- Kumar P., V.V. L. Phong*, T. A. N. Papanicolaou, R. L. Bruce, A. Anders, A. Stumpf, C. Wilson, A. Bettis, N. Blair, A. S. Ward, T. Filley, H. Lin, L. Keefer, D. A. Keefer*, Y. F. Lin, M. Muste, T. V. Royer, E. Foufoula-Georgiou, and P. Belmont. 2018. Critical Transition in Critical Zone of Intensively Managed Landscapes. Anthropocene. 22: 10-19. doi: 10.1016/j.ancene.2018.04.002.
- Xu T.*, A. J. Valocchi, M. Ye, F. Liang and Y.F., Lin. 2017. Bayesian Calibration of Groundwater Models with Input Data Uncertainty. Water Resources Research. doi: 10.1002/2016WR019512.
- Wu, Q., Y. Zhao*, Y. F. Lin, and H. Xu. 2016. Locally Conservative Flow Fields in Continuous Galerkin Groundwater Models Using Prismatic Meshes. Water Resources Research. 52: 9182-9189. doi: 10.1002/2016WR018967.
- Lin, Y.F., S. Zhong, and A.J. Stumpf. 2016. Procedure for three-dimensional printing of a digital hydrostratigraphic model. Illinois State Geological Survey, Circular 593, 9 p.
- Dong, D., G. Lin*, Y.F. Lin, M. Zhao, and L. Li. 2016. Evaluating Induced Fractures between a Large Artificial Lake and an Aquifer-Coal Seam System: A Case Study in Tangshan Coal Mine, China. Mine Water and the Environment. 35(2): 253-260. doi: 10.1007/s10230-014-0319-z.